Scroll Down

Catholic Church

Legal Documents Required

    Catholic Wedding

  • Baptism Certificate This document should be requested and dated close to your wedding date.
  • Confirmation Certificate This document is the assurance that you are free from any canonical impediment for marriage.
    a) These certificates must be obtained from the parish priest who baptized you, and must be dated within 3 months of your marriage.
    b) If the date of your confirmation is not written in the parish you were baptized, you should ask for it from the parish in which you were confirmed.
    c) Take these certificates to your current parish priest who should make the prenuptial inquiries and catechetical instruction.
  • Written permission must be obtained from your bishop To have your marriage performed outside your parish and here in Santorini. This is according to Canon 1115" of the Codex Juris Canonici. Please discuss with your pastor.


  • All paperwork (birth certificates, certificates of no impediment etc.) must stay in Santorini Town Hall. If the couple would like to keep their documents, they must obtain certified copies that will be kept in Santorini.
  • Pre-Cana Certificate stating you have completed the "Pre-Cana" instruction class, retreat or meetings.
  • Freedom to Marry Certificate
  • Divorce Certificate From Civil and Church Authorities. If either party has been divorced, please provide a certified copy of the Decree Absolute.
  • Please note that all documents must be sent to the Archbishop's office in Syros Island for review 3 months before your wedding in Santorini.
  • You have to stay in Santorini at least 1 working day after your wedding in order to go to the Town Hall to sign your Marriage Certificate. It will be sent to you by post from the Town Hall.
  • Please note: the Town Hall is closed on Saturday and Sunday.
Scroll to Top